Members of the Tobacco Free Project staff have been pulled away to support the SFDPH with mitigation efforts against COVID-19. Below is a video and additional links on information to protect yourself, your friends and family.
“LET FACTS LEAD, NOT FEAR”
- Coronavirus Facts: SFDPH COVID-19 Facts & FAQs
- COVID-19 & Smoking/Vaping: Important Information to Protect your Health
COVID-19 & SMOKING/VAPING (source: Centers for Disease Control & Prevention)
- COVID-19 can affect your respiratory tract (nose, throat, lungs), cause an asthma attack, and lead to pneumonia and acute respiratory disease.
- Long-term smokers and people who vape (many who are former smokers) are at increased risk of developing chronic lung conditions. People with lung disease or moderate to severe asthma are at a high risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
- Smoking weakens the immune system, which can lead to debilitating health conditions, especially in elderly smokers. Older adults and people who live in a nursing home or long-term care facility are at a high risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
Click here for more information, and how to cope with stress or withdrawal during this time.
Here is an article from Tobacco Free California by Dr. Elisa Tong of UC Davis: Protect Yourself from COVID-19: Stop smoking and vaping now
- Resources for Smokers: Available Support during COVID-19
The California Smokers’ Helpline provides FREE nicotine patches to callers from San Francisco.
Call California’s Smokers’ Helpline at 1-800-NO-BUTTS, for free phone counseling, and ask for your free nicotine patches for San Francisco residents.
Don’t live in San Francisco?
If you live in other counties in California, you could be eligible for free nicotine patches as well. Patches are available for:
- Asian-language speakers
- Helpline callers who live with children ages 0-5
- A few other groups also qualify – call 1-800-NO-BUTTS to find out if you are one of them!
Virtual and Mobile Support
Smokers Click to CHAT – English Only
Vapers Click to CHAT – English Only
Text QUIT SMOKING to 66819
Text QUIT VAPING to 66819
- LINKS for SF RESIDENTS: SF City & County Resources During Shelter-in-Place